Thursday, April 7, 2016

Kicking Ass With A Few Europeans

Today's rowing was all done online.  I got a late start and that turned out to be just 5 minutes before Annette W of Denmark had a 20 minute session scheduled.  She called it "20 minutes to 12 million meters" because after she rowed about 2,500 meters into the session she would pass the milestone of 12 million lifetime meters she had rowed on a C2. So I signed in with a couple minutes to spare and joined the party to congratulate her on reaching that distance.
Finish screen for Annette's 20 minutes to 12 million.
I rowed the entire 20 minutes in heart rate zones 1 and 2 but got quite a bit more workout than in those zones in previous days, because the zones were re-calculated to take into account the upward revised lactate threshold heart rate as determined yesterday with the 30 minute time trial.  How accurate that is, I don't know, but I think it is pretty accurate and it feels more "right" than the heart rate zones had before.  In the photo below you can see the old, lower zones on the top and the newer, higher zones on the bottom piece of paper.
The zones used today were zones 1 and 2 on the new table shown in the bottom of the photo.
The session report for the 20 minute online session is below.  Heart rate never climbed up out of zone 2 because I made sure it didn't.  Wanted to rest a bit after yesterday's 30 minute time trial/race.
The new heart zones 1 and 2 are more invigorating than the previous ones but not uncomfortable or painful.
After the 20 minute session, Annette had set up a series of ten 100 meter sprints with one minute of rest separating each one, so I joined in those for a total of another 1,000 meters of fun. Rather than print each one out, here is a summary listing all ten of them, in the area below highlighted in blue. Before the last 100 meter sprint began, Annette exhorted everyone to "kick ass," so I managed to actually go a little faster in the 10th than in any of the previous but still ... I think everyone except Annette and one other finished ahead of me and there were 7 or 8 Europeans plus one lone American (me) in each sprint.
After that, Annette wanted to do a cool down but Arwed Egger, the fastest in every session, wanted to row a 30 minute piece.  I still needed at least 5K to reach the current daily quota of at least 10K, so I joined Arwed in the 30 minute session. For the 30 minutes, I intended to aim for new heart zone 1 but it looks like slightly more than half of the time was in zone 2. There's no screen shot of it - I forgot to make one - but here is the report:
30 minutes online with a bunch of Europeans.
The other rowers were all located in Europe.  Specifically, Denmark, England and Germany. For the final piece we did a 2K warm down.  For the warm down I aimed at the lower edge of new heart zone one and was successful. It resulted in me being in absolute last place in the warm down because everyone else aimed to do the 2K warm down in 9 minutes. Here's the report for the warm-down:
2K warm down in zone 1.
Now, I'm basking in an afterglow like the woman in the cartoon below is enjoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment