Thursday, April 21, 2016

Wimping Out

Today was the day to do a season best in the half marathon.  I started out with a target pace of 2:09, which would have beat my current season best of 2:10 by one second/500m.  But while setting it up, decided to be more ambitious and use a pace boat of 2:07 instead.  Then, after the session started, I felt like I had a limitless supply of energy and decided to aim for around 2:06.  But after about 8,000 meters, the wimpy voice in my head asked me how much I wanted to do it that fast.  I didn't want it very much at all, so I backed way off on the effort and finished with a good afterglow but no season best.

In other words, I wimped out.  Or... to state it as I read it described in Matt Fitzgerald's book, "How Bad Do You Want It?" - I found a more comfortable level of discomfort than the one originally targeted in the first 7,000 meters.

Another try, maybe tomorrow?  As Alfred Hitchcock might say, "Suspense awaits until then!"
Will I try harder tomorrow?? Suspense, until then!

Here's today's results:
Today's finish screen.

Today's session report.

No comments:

Post a Comment